Monday, February 23, 2009

Horton Hears A Who!

Some people say that this movie is just for kids, but I disagree. This movie is great fun for all ages. I must confess that this film does a fantastic job of taking a Dr. Seuss book and bringing it to life. Starring the titular elephant, the film begins with Horton miraculously hearing a cry for help from this tiny, tiny, tiny sized “speck,” as they call it in the film. Horton takes it upon himself to rescue the speck and then realizes that he was not imagining the cries after all; they are actually emanating from a small town called Whoville contained on the speck. Despite his eager efforts to convince others in his giant-sized world of the existence of the Whos, Horton is met with skepticism and ridicule. Along the way he learns some important morals and though I don’t want to spoil the movie, the film really does teach kids a few lessons that are still important even today. The end of the movie is uplifting, I promise, but you just have to watch it to find out what happens. The film takes the viewer through sad times and happy times, and don’t be surprised if your stomach hurts after the movie from laughing a lot (and not because you had too much candy).

This picture is taken by Perry Marco from Flickr.








Other mentions: The film’s animation is truly fantastic and the characters suck a person right in. Jim Carrey was a perfect choice as the voice for Horton because he really embodies the character. Other talented actors lending their voices include Steve Carell as the honorable mayor of Whoville, and Carol Burnett, to name a few. Whether you are a Jim Carrey fan, or just want to watch a fantastic family friendly animated film, you won’t be disappointed.

In a nutshell: Horton Hears a Who! is great fun for all ages, and don’t be afraid to laugh out loud! The film is sure to uplift anyone who is feeling blue because one can’t help but fall in love with this movie. Ultimately, this story is about remembering what it is like to believe the unbelievable and what real friends will do for each other.

Movie companions: Invite some friends over and have a movie night! Call it “movies for kids, but amusing for adults” or whatever you wish.

Movie recommendations to watch along with Horton Hears A Who! are: Finding Nemo, Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium, and Shrek.

Treats to have by your fingertips:
• A big bowl or bag of fluffy popcorn
• A box (or bag) of your favorite candy (I recommend strawberry sour straws and peanut M&M’s).
• Water or soda that satisfies your taste buds
• If you are not a candy lover, try some chocolate chip cookies and milk.
And of course, last but not least, remember to enjoy Horton Hears A Who!

This picture was taken by Darren Hester from Flickr.com.

11 comments:

  1. I have yet to see this movie, but I'll check it out. I am a big Jim Carrey fan and thought the Grinch was a decent movie, but I wasn't too interested to see Horton when it first came out. It's a real bummer to see the childhood books I read over and over become destroyed when they are poorly turned into movies. Harry Potter is probably the obvious example. Even though they are great movies, there is so much they LEAVE OUT that they can be frustrating to watch! One that I am ACTUALLY looking forward to is Where The Wild Things Are. Anyone know of any others that are coming out that could salvage my memories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally haven't seen this movie nor do I have an interest in seeing this movie. I am not a fan all these Pixar and animated films. As far as Jim Carrey goes, well I was a big fan but now I guess we had a falling out. Also, Dr. Seuss not so much. I like to keep Dr. Seuss buried with other things I don't approve of from my childhood. Now, if they started making movies based on Shel Silverstein poems well hey I would probably reconnect with Pixar and animated films. This is only my opinion which isn't a very credible one.
    That being said your blog is great. The aesthetics are excellent and I appreciate the whole concept in terms of the focus of your blog. Your a good writer and I will look forward to reading a review of a film that peeks my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Juliet! I also have yet to watch this movie, because honestly I couldn't remember when it came out in theatres! I saw it in Target the Tuesday it came out and wondered if it was any good. I am glad that although the film is animated you made it clear that a person of any age can enjoy the movie. I really hate it when people think that because films or shows are animated, they are only made for kids to watch. I also like how you included a movie recommendations section so we can check out other films similar to Horton Hears A Who. I really enjoyed reading your review and can't wait to read other movie reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else, I haven't seen the film yet. It's not Pixar btw, not sure who it was by...but i'm 100% sure it wasn't them. I like the recommendations for other movies and snacks. But what about the health conscious (not me) movie goers?

    I recommend "Strange Brew" and "The Blues Brothers" for 80s awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog. i haven't seen this movie but i remember wanting to when i first heard about it, as i enjoy jim carrey and dr suess both. good review and i like the recommendations at the end, that section makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't like the silly misconception that animated movies are only for children. I just got done watching Madagascar 2 on DVD. Absolutely hilarious as long as you're willing to look past the exaggerated visuals (and obviously talking animals). The writing in animated films is really something to cherish regardless of what the naysayers tell you. I think you should keep doing film commentary, I enjoyed it. Maybe Madagascar 2 next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to say that I have seen this fantastic movie. I am a mother of a 4-year-old boy, so I've seen it with him, but I have to admit that I find myself continuing to watch it even when he has log gone left the room to do somthing else. I agree with you, this movie is for people of all ages and alot of animated films, nowadays, are and even include a small dose of adult content. Shrek, for example may be considered an adult film. Can you think of any other movies like this, or perhaps children's films that contain little hidden jokes that appeal to adults?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not had a chance to see the film yet. When the movie first came out, I heard it received mix reviews from critics. I loved reading Dr Seuss’s books when I was younger, especially Horton Hears a Who. Sometimes I am hesitant to see a movie that was adapted from a popular book, but the promos are hilarious to watch. I also cannot believe how many good actors participated in the movie. I liked how Jim Carrey and Steve Carell worked together in Bruce Almighty, and Carol Burnett is also an excellent comedian. If the film is anything like Finding Nemo or Shrek, I will definitely watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a wonderful brief description on the film. It makes me want to go out and watch the movie with my children. It's always good to hear about whether I should see a certain children's movie or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your comments!

    ReplyDelete